The 310th Space Wing is headquartered at Schriever Space Force Base, Colorado, and has units assigned to Schriever, Peterson and Buckley, Space Force Bases in Colorado and Vandenberg SFB in California.
MISSION: The wing supports various military and other government organizations including, but not limited to, the Department of Commerce, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, U.S. Space Command and U.S. Space Force.
ORGANIZATION: The 310th SW comes under the operational control of the Air Force Reserve Command, headquartered at Robins AFB, Georgia, through its numbered Air Force, 10th Air Force, at Naval Air Station Fort Worth Joint Reserve Base, Texas. It is the only space wing in the Air Force Reserve.
There are three groups and two direct reporting units – the 310th Aerospace Medicine Flight and the 9th Combat Operations Squadron, assigned to the wing.
310th Operations Group: 6th Space Operations Squadron, 7th Space Operations Squadron, 19th Space Operations Squadron
310th Mission Support Group: 310th Force Support Squadron, 310th and 710th Security Forces Squadrons
710th Operations Group: 380th Space Control Squadron, 4th and 8th Space Warning Squadrons, 42nd Combat Training Squadron, 710th Operations Support Flight
ECONOMIC IMPACT: In Fiscal Year 2020, the value of 310th SW annual payroll and other economic impacts the wing’s Reserve Citizen Airmen bring to the area totaled $49.09 million dollars.
HISTORY: The 310th has a long and rich heritage dating back to World War II when it began as the 310th Bombardment Group on March 15, 1942. The unit flew B-25 "Mitchell" bomber aircraft in support of operations in Tunisia, Sicily, Italy, Sardinia, France, Austria and Yugoslavia during the war. The group perfected "skip bombing" techniques against bridge, airborne, rail yard and marshaling yard targets. The group was inactivated on Sept. 12, 1945.
The 310th Bombardment Wing was reactivated in 1952 and trained on the B-29 Superfortress before converting to the B-47 Stratojet. The wing deployed to RAF station Upper Heyford, England from March 10 - June 8, 1955 and to RAF Greenham Common, England from Oct. 3, 1956 - Jan. 19, 1965 before being deactivated in June of 1965.
On Sept. 1, 1991, the 310th Training and Test Wing was activated for a short time at Vandenberg AFB and was responsible for initial ICBM operations crew training and ICBM operational testing. It was inactivated on July 1, 1993.
The 310th designator was again activated with the stand up of the 310th Space Group on Sept. 4, 1997. The group was created from its original squadron, the 7th SOPS, and has grown rapidly with the realization of the critical role the Air Force Reserve can play in the future of space operations.