Affected by Hail Damage?

  • Published

If you are an Air Force service member or civilian employee and were affected by the July 28 hailstorm in the Colorado Springs area, please be advised that the Air Force Claims Service Center determined the event qualified as an unusual occurrence.  If you need assistance in filing a claim, the AFCSC is the primary point of contact. The AFCSC processes and adjudicates these types of claims. Contact information for members of other military services may be found at the end of this article.


Depending on your status and location at the time of the hailstorm, you may qualify to file a claim for damage.  Claims may be considered if your property was located on base, or if it was located off base and you were:


    1. On TDY or PCS orders and your property was at an authorized location; or

    2. On TDY or PCS orders driving directly from your last base to your next base.


Here are some tips that will help you be prepared to file your claim:


    1. In general, you will need the following documents to make your claim:  registration of vehicle, proof of insurance, color photos of damage, a copy of          the insurance settlement (if any), and an estimate of repair (typically from your insurance adjuster).


     2. Additional documentation will be required for persons falling into the following categories:


         a.If you reside on Peterson AFB (either in the dorms or in base housing), you will need to submit documentation of your assignment to quarters. 


         b.If you were on duty at the time of the storm, you will need to submit a letter from your supervisor or commander stating that you were on duty               during the storm (or similar documents proving the requirement to be on base).

         c. If you are TDY to Peterson AFB, you will need to submit a copy of orders and documentation from lodging. 

         d. If you have only liability insurance coverage, you will need TWO estimates of repair along with everything else.


Please note that the above talking points are not all-inclusive. If you have further questions, please contact the AFCSC directly or call the 21st Space Wing Legal Office at 719-556-4871.

Air Force Claims Service Center

U.S. Army Claims Service

Attn:  Claims
4411 Llewellyn Avenue
Fort Meade, Maryland  20755
COMM: (301) 677-9216

Coast Guard

(757) 523-6940 


Mailing Address:

Personnel Claims Unit Norfolk

9053 First St. Suite 102

Norfolk, VA 23511-3605

Phone Numbers:

Toll Free: (888) 897-8217

Comm: (757) 440-6315

DSN: 564-3310

Fax: (866) 782-7297


Fax DSN: 564-3337