379th is now official
By Tech. Sgt. Nicholas B. Ontiveros, 310 SW
/ Published March 03, 2013
Colorado Springs, Colo. --
The 379th Space Range Squadron had its official activation ceremony in Colorado Springs, Colo., Mar. 3, 2013.
The 379 SRS was officially activated by special order from the Secretary of the Air Force on Apr. 1, 2012. This was requested by the active duty Air Force to have an Air Force Reserve squadron support the 25th Space Range Squadron.
The 379 SRS was originally activated in 1942 as the 379th Bombardment Squadron and deactivated in 1945 with the cessation of operations during World War II. The 379 BS was one of four squadrons organized under the 310th Bombardment Group, 57th Bomb Wing, now active as the 310th Space Wing. Of the four bomb squadrons activated under the 310 BG during World War II, the 379 BS, 380 BS, 381 BS, and 428 BS, the 310 SW has regained operational missions for two of these squadrons, the 380th Space Control Squadron, and now the 379 SRS.